And, admittedly, this is really where I truly struggle to stick to a healthy lifestyle.
In fact, as I’m writing this, I’m really trying not to just order a burger and fries from Five Guys off of Uber Eats. Hence, the not-so-healthy feature image.
I’m used to eating whatever I want, whenever I want and not gaining a single pound.
I’m also one of the pickiest eaters ever. I probably have the palette of a 5-year-old. While I don’t like most desserts and sweets, my downfall is my love of carbs. Potatoes. Bread. Pasta. Yes, give me all of them.
Combine that with my limited amount of funds (grad student) and inability and lack of interest in cooking (tiny kitchen + no dishwasher), what do you get? Lots of takeout, frozen meals, and easily prepared foods.
To top it off, I have a history of disordered eating. So, CICO (Calories in, Calories out) method of weight loss is out. This means that I avoid tracking the number of calories in everything I eat and try to focus on making good, healthy choices intuitively. I don’t want to trigger any old bad habits.
They say weight loss is only 20% exercise. Diet is the other 80%. It can make or break your weight loss.
So, how am I going to combat my cravings for fast food, boredom eating, and comfort eating?
I honestly have no idea.
What I do know has been helpful so far:
- Mixing my favorite fruits with some spinach to create a salad.
- Going for walks when I’m bored.
- Daily reminders to take it one day at a time. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
Even though these things have been helpful, it’s still somewhat of a struggle every day not to slip back into old habits. Hopefully, it will get easier with time.